Ragi Roti

Ragi flour (finger millet powder) is one thing that I hated as a kid. My mother didn't even try to feed me, as there are many more things that I hated. I was what you called a picky kid. 

When my mom visited a grocery store in Toronto for the first time with me, she was excited to see Ragi flour on the shelves. Suddenly she was listing all the health benefits of it, I silently placed a 500 gm packet in my cart, smiling at her (I'm sure most of you know that this is a secret hint that Mom's give you, when they want something and are afraid to ask). 

She made this ragi malt for me one day since then I am hooked to this drink. I've tried multiple versions of it with sweet, salt, ragi laddoos. (If you are interested in these recipes, let me know in comments, I'll post them).
  
And, here is another recipe from my kitchen  ** Ragi Roti ** 

ragi roti

Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 2 min (for one roti)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups ragi flour
  • 1 cup sooji
  • For tempering:
    •    Chana dal
    •    Chopped curry leaves
    •    Cumin seeds
    •    Oil
  • Onions chopped
  • Ginger Chopped
  • 4 tbsp plain yogurt
  • Salt
  • Water

Let's go...
  • In a small pan, add some oil, heat it and cumin, chana dal, chopped curry leaves. Roast them until chana turns brown.
  • In a plate, Add ragi, sooji, salt( to your taste), and the tempering (from step1), chopped ginger, and mix it well.
  • Now add yogurt and mix it until it starts to stick together. Add a bit of warm water and make it into a soft dough.
  • Let is sit for 5 min and start making them into round balls.
  • Now use your palm and fingers spreading it until it becomes thin as a roti.
  • Heat your pan, place the roti on it and start roasting it, flipping to the sides from time to time. When you begin to see the dark brown, take it out.
  • I paired my roti with moong dal. You can try it with any other curry or just the yogurt.

Do try it and let me know how it turned out.

If you like this recipe and would love to see more from my kitchen, please subscribe and follow.

Comments

Popular Posts